Quick Thoughts On Marvel Select

Sorry I haven't been doing much in depth posting. Lately I've been putting in alot of hours at work as we've been hit with the Covid bug. Luckily I escaped it but a few coworkers weren't so lucky. Because of our staff shortage I've had to open and close the store which means I'm the first one there and the last one out. But I wanted, quickly, to go over a line of figures that I've been picking up alot of lately, Marvel Select. 
       With me, I like to be different. I hate going after the " in thing" when it comes to action figures. I almost always go against the grain, choosing to chase toy lines most collectors avoid or don't have much to say about. So I guess you could say that it was Marvel Legends insane popularity that drove me right into the arms of Marvel Select. Don't get me wrong, Marvel Legends has tons to offer, but there's something about Select that sets them apart. 
        With earlier Marvel Select figures, you were essentially getting posable statues. Very limited articulation but also less disruption with the overall flow of the sculpt. Take Select's Daredevil figure. The lack of articulation cuts and joints give it a clean and sleek appearance. I really dig that. 
        I also really like the paint apps. The figures have this matte look to them. It's hard to explain it. You almost have to have them in hand to see what I mean. 
         One area where I think Select outshines Legends is with the bigger figures. Off the bat , Select figures are larger than Legends but characters like Juggernaut, Hulk etc. are humongous, and all for a fraction of the price of the 5 or 6 Legends figures you'd have to buy to complete one build-a-figure. Character specific bases, bright boxart and mini fold out catalogs  are also nice touches that Select adds to their product to set them apart from the more mainstream Marvel action figures. I can definitely get behind that. Marvel Select may not be the coolest line out there but they are definitely different. That alone is reason enough for me to continue hunting them down. 
          

    

Comments

  1. I always loved the packaging art on the side panel. Also, while I haven't collected many, I do have the Rhino and that figure is an absolute beast! They definitely have a lot of mass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah , that Rhino is pricey. I'd love to pick it up at some point. Right now I'm looking at X - Men figures, Black Panther and some of the other core released from a while back.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about the long days. Hope things begin to settle down at work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fuji 👍 Luckily baseball is back😉 and that has definitely been a companion of mine throughout everything.

      Delete
  3. Being Marvel, I would imagine that these figures are still doing well sales-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would think so. Diamond Select Toys makes GI Joe as well as a host of other figures. I think they're mostly known for their busts which are pretty damn detailed. They also make Mini-Mates, a line I've been tempted to start collecting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Go! Games and Toys

A GI Joe Post That's Not Classified