Broken But Not Beaten!

I remember a time when I could walk into a department/toy store and be totally surprised by what I came across In the toy aisles.  In fact, the only forewarning came from the tail end of a quick 2 minute commercial or a low definition pic in a comic book or  catalog.  Another telltale sign would be a newly premiered  Saturday morning cartoon that gained popularity. This  usually meant an action figure line for the series was  fast approaching. Even then we never knew what the actual product was going to look like until we made the trip out to our local toy or department store to meet and greet the toy, face to face. Nothing compared to the giddiness we got as  kids In the car  on our way to Toys R Us. The anticipation of finding that hot, new action figure line on fully stocked pegs! The rush of adrenaline on your way back home, specimen in hand,  to spread the good toy news to your friends! O.k. this mostly applies to our childhood, I know,  but alot of us still collect. Sometimes It's nice to be hit with something for the first time without having already seen It a gazillion times online. The thing that bugs me Is the over saturation of  toy exposure before they even hit store shelves. Prominent toy vloggers/bloggers that get first, hands on access to some of these figures months before they make their retail debut, kind of spoiling that element of surprise for the rest of us. I'm  cool with toy-cons and product unveilings because It's all part of the community. But, take this one G.I. Joe Youtube channel I've recently subscribed to for instance. At first It was cool getting up to date info on what was coming out but then It got to be a little too much. I don't know about you but having something you really want waved In your face repeatedly and not being able to go out and pick up one of your own Is kind of  annoying. I know I could have pre-ordered but where's the fun In that? First of all, everyone and their mom will be doing It so  you're not even guaranteed what you've purchased because of  product availability. Even If you get lucky you still have to wait months for It to arrive. You never know what your getting. You could get a defective or horribly painted figure and then you have to repeat the shipping  process If you want to return It. For me,that's just too much. That's why I decided to wait for the figures to get to my local Wal Mart. 

HERE'S THE CRAZY SHIT!

The other day I walk into my Wal Mart and find a few of the Classified figures sitting on the store shelf. Yes! My patience had paid off but I would have to wait because I like to get a face to face  o.k. from my better half before dropping $20 bucks on any one figure. I went back home, got the green light and about an hour later headed back to Wal Mart only to find that all of the figures had been swooped up already. There was one Snake Eyes ,2 Scarlet's and a couple of Roadblocks. They could have at least left one of the duplicates, but no. So you wanna know what I did? 




Hell yeah! For less than the price of one over-sized  and glorified Joe I got two fun action figures with a vehicle and some cool accessories!

And to boot? One Manbat figure coming right up!



I know I sound like a scorned collector right now. Well, really, I'm not. I'll get my crack at a 6 inch Snake Eyes sooner or later but for now I'll just continue  doing the Spin Master thing!


Stay tuned for TimMee Mountain/DC action figure goodness!

Comments

  1. I've gone back to the vintage line of Joes in lieu of Classified. If I'm going to pay $40.00 for one figure, I'd rather it be from the original series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all feels more like a race to be the first to grab everything up rather than just collecting. Collecting is fun. Competing is taxing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a card collector... I completely understand. When I went to Target last week, there were two baseball blaster boxes and zero packs. Not sure how often they restock and how long they last on the shelf, but it seems like the people with connections know when they're being put on the shelves and swoop in and buy everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't picked up anything new as far as cards go. I did, however, recently picked up a 1989 Score factory set for $5 bucks and im having a blast sorting and just looking through all of my favs from that " junk" wax era.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know the feeling- collecting action figures has changed so much. I loved the Man-Bat and Croc from this sereies, that Clayface looks just as cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know doesn't he (Clayface)? You should see him in hand. Pretty hefty for a small figure. And your right. Collecting has turned into a pissing contest. And whatever happened to having fun with your toys!?! Gone are the days of bloggers creating cool backdrops and action scenes with their figures. It's pretty much just, look what I got and good luck If you can get your hands on one. Alot of vlogs and toy sites have become sales reps for toy companies. I miss the days of garage sale toy haul posts and just fun action figure pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer the hunt, but without Toys R Us, I've had to preorder Star Wars Black Series and GI Joe Classified. Will never find them. The current Target Exclusive GI Joe line is a debacle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, one of the reasons I've enjoyed the Jazwares Fortnite 4 inch action figures because there is very little info coming out before hand. I show up at Target, Walmart, or Gamestop and there's a whole new series or playset I never knew was coming.

      Delete
    2. Very true on the Fortnite stuff. The element of surprise Is underrated. If It wasn't for Spinmaster I would have jumped all over that. There's a ton of Fortnite figures everywhere and they're great looking . And Jigs,you do pre-order alot,I see that on your site but you also take the time to have fun with what you got with cool dios. I also give TOY BOX a pass (who am I to be giving out passes lol) because his site Is mostly about info,and not for upcoming stuff but rather retro lines and I can get behind that.

      Delete
    3. True - I went about two years with minimal online shopping and then the inability to get Star Wars was frustrating. Marvel I could wait. Won't wait for GI Joe Classified. I still enjoy the hunt. If only Toys R Us would come back. It certainly wasn't perfect but Target and Walmart stink.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Go! Games and Toys

A GI Joe Post That's Not Classified

Pop Culture League Assignment - Shelfie