The Anatomy Of A Toy Room

What makes a great toy room?For me,a toy room has to be more than just toys on a shelf.In order for a toy room to come to life ,you have to treat It like an ecosystem.One collectible directly  affects the other ,setting off  a nostalgic domino effect enabling us to relive  those different phases of our childhood we so deeply enamored .I call It  a re-brainwashing .Whatever program we ran on as kids has re-downloaded Itself.Our brains have been taken hostage once again ,resulting In some pretty bad ass action figure blogs,pop culture podcasts and  toy rooms among other stagnant and weird behavior!Here's my take on the evolution of it all.



With me,It all began with comics.So naturally,my toy room had to have an area displaying some of my favorite childhood titles.




While the 80's had It's fair share of  box office hits and sentimental favorites,no film made an impact  on our young minds like E.T.Thanks to Brother Midnight,this poster hangs on my wall and deservedly so.Every toy room needs a little 80's movie propaganda. I was,finally,able to clear up some space on the other side of the room to display more figures.Also,In the summertime,having a fan Is imperative. Posing figures,slabbing comics,sorting baseball cards and  video gaming In the dead of summer can be very  uncomfortable.A drop of sweat can leave a nasty stain on your Mike Trout rookie card.Unless of course you have central air,then your good.



As a six year old,comics were great,but It was time to move on from the gateway drugs and on to the harder stuff! Pictures ,television shows and movies were great ,but now I wanted to call the shots. I wanted to create my own scenes.I wanted to choreograph and orchestrate my own fight sequences.After developing a tolerance to comic books and T.V. , It was off to play with my action figures!Comic books deteriorated over time and television shows came and went but our action figures,our action figures  stood by us for life!It's no wonder why they  are the meat and potatoes of most "toy" rooms ,today.



When putting together my toy room ,I tried my best to incorporate every aspect of my collecting phases growing up. As I got older and began to  realize the value of a dollar ,baseball card collecting seemed like a smart hobby to get into.Finding out that I pulled a card that was worth $1 out of a pack that I paid 50 cents for made me feel more like a savvy businessman and less like a nerdy collector.At least that's how I spun It ;) This phase was a little trickier to fit into my mix of things.Baseball cards are normally showcased Inside of glass counter top displays.If you're lucky enough to have one ,more power to you.For now I keep my cards in binders and In shoe boxes,but still within reach when I feel like doing some sorting or just looking through them.  The fact that I'm able have them in my toy room alongside everything else I'm passionate about Is pretty great!




Which brings us to the 5th and final phase of my collection.The  amalgamation of  everything I loved as a kid on one cartridge/disc .The ultimate junk food for your brain.Video games.I played Atari and NES but the Sega Genesis and SNES was my shizz!X-Men,Avengers,Spider-Man,Hulk and many more Marvel related games had a release on these consoles and the 16 bit character sprites looked so damn cool.Anybody who's ever played The Punisher on the Sega Genesis will tell you.Oh,and sports games galore! Every toy room needs at least one of these classic consoles,IMO. The reissued classic releases are cool but nothing beats a vintage "working" console on display. 




So that's pretty much It.What makes your toy room special to you guys?Is there a method to your madness or do you just display randomly?Would love to know In the comments ;)







Comments

  1. I see one small problem with your room... the television!?!? You need to get yourself a CRT, anything else just looks out of place in a room like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man,I am constantly on the lookout for a small crt but I only come across those jumbotron sized mothers .Your absolutely right though.I hate the way my sega games play and look on the wide screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be able to help you with that. I think my mom still has a CRT style VHS combo television. If it's in her attic the next time I see her, I'll ask her if she wants me to "dispose" of it for her...If you're interested of course.

      Delete
    2. It can't be more than 19 inches.

      Delete
    3. I'd hate to put you through the trouble TB.

      Delete
  3. bruh the last pic is like a work of art or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha Thanks ,bro!I appreciate that.I dug it enough to use as my header pic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I am in awe here. You have really mastered the art of recreating childhood memories. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't know how happy I am to hear that ;) Thanks,Chris!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right now my office is a disaster. I've got card stacked up everywhere. But under and behind the chaos, there's order. Anyways... love the setup. I wish I had more space in my place to put out my video game consoles and toys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Fuji! With the kids off to college It gets a little easier for me to make room for extra stuff.With video games and consoles It can get tricky,figuring out what receptacle to set them up by.Extension chords and power strips can be a pain to deal with ,too.Being the savvy collector you are,Fuji,I'm sure you'll figure It out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great toy room. I especially love the shelf/rack you have for the comics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks J!I'm still adding little things here and there.Nice to here from you again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Go! Games and Toys

A GI Joe Post That's Not Classified