Gaming In Your 40's

Remember when you actually had the time to soak in the entire gaming experience?You know,before the wife and kids.Before the marriage of hard drive and console.It was just you ,a wired controller  and that perfect distance between you and your analog TV screen.If you ever got stuck at any point in a game  you could always count on your "physical" manual to give you little tips and hints ,almost as If the creators knew you'd get stuck trying to figure out how to get Alucard passed those iron grate doors.The john was now your war room  because time spent sitting on the toilet would be utilized  wisely dissecting manuals and formulating strategies,among other stinky things.Juxtaposed  GamePro mags and Cheetos adorned your room floor ,and the wires connecting your shelf top stereo to the television set stuck out sorely with everything plugged in  to  your giant surge protector power strip.My ,have things changed!Not necessarily for the worst,though.Today,I game at a more subdued pace.I'll admit ,It's no where near as fun as It used to be but It's still a nice time killer and a great way to scratch that nostalgia itch.I definitely feel like gaming during the holidays ups the fun factor for me ,In a strange way.Also,what better way to countdown to X-Mas than with a hot cup of coffee and Diablo 2 ? Below are the titles I'll be playing In anticipation of  December 25th!

Out Of The Park 18  is a micro management/play by play/strategy/everything and anything else you can possibly imagine ,highly customizable  pc MLB game that has me completely and utterly hooked right now!It's an entire baseball universe on your computer and at your fingertips.



Diablo 2 Is the gift that keeps on giving.You can beat It a bazillion times and still go back to parts of the game you've visited before to satisfy the hack n' slasher that lies dormant  In all of us.


NBA 08 Is great because you get somewhat of a next gen basketball game (PS3) with great graphics and a simple interface.No franchise mode ,just a straight up season where you get to progress a created player and earn a place In NBA history!Not very realistic but fun as heck!


If you're a sports gamer then you know Madden 97.The first Madden to make the jump to the PS1 and the funnest imo.Quicker load times than 98 .No franchise ,just season mode.And the A.I. and all around game play seems better to me than 98's does.


What do you guys do to cope with holiday anxiety or just to simply kill time until the big day finally arrives? 

Comments

  1. oh man I have a group of Diablo 2 friends that would get together and do the seasons though I haven't logged on in a few years now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a great time killer.Mindless mouse clicking at it's finest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't turned on my PS4 in months. In fact, I couldn't tell you the last game I played or which game is inside the system as I type. That being said... I heard Red Redemption 2 is out. I might go out and buy that. Might also grab SW Battlefront since I'm sure it's no longer a $50 game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant go more than a week without gaming.The new Spiderman game has been getting a ton of love lately.

      Delete
  4. OOTP is something I really want to try. I've played the Baseball Mogul series for years but have an itch to try something different. We'll see if I make the jump. I'm 49 and like you gaming isn't quite the same. I've played Command and Conquer, Generals Zero Hour for a long time and wouldn't know what to do if I couldn't play it. I also play the Madden and NBA 2K series of games but this year discovered newer versions won't be released anymore for the PS3. I may have to upgrade by like Fuji don't get on there as much as I'd like so is it really worth the upgrade? Great post - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry It took me so long to reply,BD!Yes,definitely check out OOTP 18,19, or the new 2020 version that just released.I can't speak for the latter but 18 and 19 are outstanding!I have both on my PC and can't live without them.It's great because you have so many different ways to play it.You'll never get bored.These days gaming has gone by the way side but OOTP remains a constant.I also rocked out on Baseball Mogul.I was Tonyplayball ,I contributed to the sound and ballpark mods with Robinhoodhnik ;)

      Delete
    2. That's great to know. I've always wondered about OOTP. I may have to give it a shot. Thanks.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Go! Games and Toys

A GI Joe Post That's Not Classified