On My Starting Lineup Grind!

I'm getting closer to completing my ,i guess you could call it frankenset,of Oakland A's Starting Lineup figures.I was going to stop at the 88 releases ,but that was only 3 figures deep,so I've decided to piece my team together with other A's figures released from 1989 thru 1991. Steinbach was kind of the exception here as this figure here Is from the 96 run.It was way cheaper than his 89 fig and I needed a  Steinbach,so there's that.


There Isn't much to tell this figure apart from the others that I have on display other than the lettering on the back of his jersey.The letters are green with a yellow outline, modeled after the 96 unis but you can't tell that unless you turn the figure around.So In my mind,this Is 1980's Steinbach .The smallest "Bash Brother" Steinbach. The 1987 Donruss Rated Rookies Steinbach. It's a cool figure but I couldn't help but chuckle at the softball he's about to chuck down to second base.Also ,he's a tad bigger than the earlier released line of Starting Lineup figures.



Then there's Rickey Henderson ,the catalyst .Rickey made the A's virtually unstoppable, hitting at the top of  an already stacked lineup. I believe this 1990 release  is his post 80's  debut A's figure.In 1979 Rickey started his career In Oakland before being traded to the Yankees  ,and then ultimately making his way back to the A's In 1989. I like the figure but I'm enamored more by the cards that come with it.That yellow bordered 79 Rookie Year card Is pretty awesome!


This Is what my A's team Is looking like right now.I now need to pick up a Walt Weiss and Dave Henderson figure to put the kibosh on this makeshift team  set. I would have loved,loved,loved to add Eckersley to this mix but he's way too expensive for me to even consider It at this point.I may switch out the Canseco figure for the 1990 version.It's alot bulkier , has a different head sculpt and would look better ,imo,with the other A's figures.I'll just slide his 88 fig up to the top with all the other 88 figures.It's coming along,slow,but coming along ,nonetheless.

Comments

  1. Lol. Never noticed the size of that ball in Steinbach's hands until now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, that thing's a frickin' grapefruit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why can't the sports figures have articulation like other action figures? They are all basically statues... I've never understood this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today they make sport themed figures like that,with alot of articulation, and they're actually pretty cool when done right.Playmakers and Gracelyn Replays come to mind.I think these would have been, dare I say, even more popular then they already were If they had a little extra articulation.Or even removable equipment.The Football Starting Lineups all had removable helmets but again ,hardly any articulation.But yeah,they are basically statues but as kids It was the closest we'd get to a sports themed toy with any action figure semblance .You're right though,there was really nothing for me to do with these as a kid except for stare at them ,lol!

      Delete
  4. Nice collection. Even without the articulation, they were awesome to admire. And they released so many, almost entire teams. Can't do that with McFarlane Sports picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jigs!The cool thing Is that If you pick and choose from different years ,you can pretty much complete a full squad of 9 players from your favorite teams.In the baseball line anyways,not sure If you can do that with the Football and Basketball lines.One day I'll do a comparison post with some McFarlanes that I have laying around somewhere.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Go! Games and Toys

A GI Joe Post That's Not Classified